Monday, July 1, 2013

Riding with a Cowboy Pilot


I was travelling to Taiwan, so I had to take a Cebu Pacific plane from Legazpi City in Bicol, to Manila on the morning of March 5, 2013. From Manila, I would be taking a PAL flight to Taipei.

I came a bit early for my 7:30 AM flight so I had a relaxed time at the pre-departure lounge of the Legazpi airport. We were boarded as soon as the inbound Cebu Pacific plane had unloaded, since this plane was also my outbound ride to Manila.

Up in the air, it was mostly uneventful until the Cebu Pacific pilot announced we were 30 minutes ahead of schedule! I was in awe. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I’ve been on this route countless times, on several different airlines, and I could barely remember the last time a flight was on time, let alone early.

I was attentive from then on, looking at my devices to track the time. Several uneventful minutes passed. Then as the plane made a turn to the right, I could feel a fast descent. It was not however, as sudden as could churn out butterflies in the stomach. It did not make me queasy or uncomfortable.

A few more moments and we were approaching the Manila runway. There was one strong jerk as the wheels touched down then gradually slowed down. We were 30 minutes ahead of time. The plane then taxied to the disembarkation area and when the doors were opened we were still about 20 minutes ahead of time.

That was it. Fast, no-nonsense reliable service. I could not remember when a local Philippine flight in any airline was not late. This one is for the books.

To me the pilot seemed confident, gung-ho but safe. A cowboy who knows what he is doing. And good at it too. To all who pursue excellence by polishing their craft, Cheers!

Riding with a Cowboy PilotSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment